Re: Nellis AFB spotting

Message posted by Hank on January 01, 2006 at 18:01:52 PST:

I don't know how spotter friendly you are used too. Prior to 9/11 it was a different situation. They have fenced what used to be the best spotting area. Now you have to shoot from across the street. This would be 200 to 300 yards from touchdown. Not as bad as it sounds, just not as good as it used to be. I will post a link at the end of this to some pics I took from these spots. These were taken from the corner of Las Vegas Blvd and Hollywood Blvd. This is at the corner of The Las Vegas Motor Speedway. Their are two gates I believe they are either A and B or 1 and 2. You can pull off and park off the Blvd. and shoot from there.
As far as what you are going to see, its anybody's guess. For sure you will see a bunch of A10s, F15s and 16s, AWACS,possibly some B1s and 2s, F117s, some choppers. Nellis is the home of the Thunderbirds so they come in and out on their way to practice at Creech (Indian Springs).If their is an exercise going on the times will be listed in the Notams. The normal times for launch and recovery are roughly 9:00am and recovery around 3:30pm. These are just estimates and apply only till daylight savings time is in effect. Ive been out there from 8:00am and haven't left till 5:00pm and hardly any down time. As far as your 200mm lens it should do good. The photos you'll see in the link were taken with a digital with a 10x optical zoom
usually not zoomed all the way out. If you have any further questions please email me or post them. Click on the Nellis Red Flag Link.
Hank

http://community.webshots.com/user/hanks167

In Reply to: Nellis AFB spotting posted by Bruno on January 01, 2006 at 16:47:42 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]