Re: Janet and FIDOE

Message posted by lone wolf on December 24, 2005 at 8:49:33 PST:

I don't know if there is a reference on how the military flies under Mode-S available to the public. What I have read is that the coding in a military plane is not hard wired in that they don't always want to be revealing who they are, speed, location, etc.

I think if you review the audio, you would come up with a different conclusion on FIDOE. They often refer to it as "doggie", such as "direct to doggie". Another private fix is ABBIE.

Regarding the plane leaving the screen when it hits military airspace, this happens with Passur. Passur is not limited to mode-S. There has to be some sort of gentleman's agreement with passur and the DOD NOT to show aircraft landing at the non-existent base. That is, they filter the data.

A few years ago, Steve Douglas recorded some radio traffic that was (either or real or allegedly as the case may be) of an experiment aircraft. While there were some funny things in the transcript, such as relaying the altitude in kft not hundreds of feet, it was noted that Passur data for the region on that day was not on the net. Now maybe a hard drive crashed, or maybe the data was removed. ;-) I think it was removed, and have concluded that Passur is very subservient to the DOD.

In Reply to: Re: Janet and FIDOE posted by Ron on December 24, 2005 at 2:38:55 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]