Re: N623BA

Message posted by lone wolf on December 22, 2005 at 8:18:11 PST:

If you go to the avpress website and search on Palmdale, there are some archived reports on the airport. I don't quite follow the ownership exactly, but LAWA (Los Angeles) and the USAF run PMD. LAWA owns some land nearby independent of the USAF. However, the USAF was very concerned about foreign nationals landing at PMD becaue the might see "something", hence no international fligths. [As if a foreign national couldn't fly into Vegas and use the Scenic Air flight.] The intent behind the Scenic Air flights was not to ferry military workers, but rather do a short hop from Vegas to Palmdale for tourists, that could then take the train into LA.

The last time I was in Palmdale, I saw a F117a land, though quite far away from my location. I'm not sure it works like this, but it would be fun to be lined up in the queue to take off, and be behind a U2 or F117a. The trip from Vegas to PMD would probably let you see a bit of China Lake and maybe the radar ranges.

There used to be some nasty signs on the road to PMD more or less saying don't drive down here unless you have business at the airport. Those are now gone.

In Reply to: Re: N623BA posted by adc_dog on December 21, 2005 at 20:44:23 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]