Re: WAR on the Horizon - quite possible!

Message posted by Magoo on April 03, 2001 at 16:18:49 PST:

I tend to agree that conflict (on some level) is inevitable in the east-Asian region. This current event, and whatever follows may just be the catalyst to bring the US and allies (Australia, Japan, UK etc) into it.

China has been rumbling for years now, and many south-east Asian nations are not happy with the status quo. The almost daily rhetoric between Beijing and Taipei is becoming tiresome, but one day one of them is going to go just a bit too far, and then look out! It is my belief that Vietnam, Malaysia, The Philippines, and possibly Indonesia will be drawn into a regional conflict against China, as there are other territorial and economic disputes (The Spratly Islands) that are yet to be settled, and Taiwan is a member of the ASEAN block.

Bush WILL sell Aegis destroyers, Patriots and other new weapons to Taiwan in response to the downing of the EP-3, and this will only distance Washington from Beijing further, and bring it closer to Taipei. Rest assured though, unless China actually invades someone (which it can't), any conflict will not just happen overnight...we'll see it coming, and hopefully be ready!

As for A51...its role will no doubt expand in the event of any major tensions. There will be more advanced weapons programs, upgrades to current aircraft like the B-1 and B-2, and possibly some recon projects going on at Groom. Spooky can probably elaborate, but I bet he wont! ;)

Magoo

In Reply to: WAR on the Horizon; Importance of A51 and the Desert posted by Spooky_Dogg on April 03, 2001 at 4:58:43 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]