Re: Airstrip 5 miles west of Groom

Message posted by Salty on November 14, 2005 at 15:08:35 PST:

I've noticed the white blocks, and they are pretty much oriented to true north, for what that's worth. Note the symmetry to it also, although the west most block appears to have been knocked off kilter. There doesn't appear to be much height to them, as they're not throwing much, if any, of a shadow. There was somewhere else in the boundaries where I saw similar objects. They're about 11 x 4 feet, and mighty shiny, so those might even be propane tanks (maybe there was a junk artist there).

Dunno about the round objects, the only thing I can note is they're at the junction of the road to the top of the Papoose radio facility.

Note sure what you mean about too blocky, but whatever it is appears to have been unused for quite some time, judging by all the sand on it. No markings either. Chuck, I like your idea of a UAV strip, that might explain the building being so close to the center of the strip. But I'm not sure the last time this thing was used was when UAV's existed :-) Then again, maybe that's what "they" want me to think or UAV's have been tested a lot longer than I thought.

There's a lot of interesting structures within the Area 51 boundaries on the west side of the Papoose range that I've been looking at a lot recently. That runway is the most visually prominent. One thing I'm not clear on is what the history of the use of that are is. Most of the old satellite photos I've seen don't go into that area.

In Reply to: Re: Airstrip 5 miles west of Groom posted by Lumpy on November 13, 2005 at 20:07:32 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]