Re: Did NOVA spill the beans?

Message posted by Tom on November 04, 2005 at 7:54:33 PST:

There are only two RCS facilities which have the aircraft rising out of the ground as the writer described: Helendale or its RAMS twin at White Sands (which can be seen on Google Earth). From his description, I'd say he visited Helendale. If he came from the Edwards direction, he would have come in from the north, off Hwy 58, and used Helendale Road, which is dirt. Access from the south is paved. From the acces on the sout end of the facility, it's well over a mile to the silo end. Also, it was dark, so his estimate of distances may be off.

The reference to it being where the F117 was tested strikes me as an error of sorts. The Have Blues were built in the late 1970s and the first F117 in 1981. The Helendale RCS wasn't built until 1983. I believe the White Sands facility came just slightly before but still seems to be too late for the F117 testing. It could well be that the F117s were tested at Helendale, but after they became operational.

In Reply to: Re: Did NOVA spill the beans? posted by Lone Wolf on November 04, 2005 at 0:49:38 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]