Re: Purchasng a scanner & GPS ????

Message posted by lone wolf on October 26, 2005 at 9:25:18 PST:

Knowing what you can scan around the ranges goes hand in hand with buying a scanner. The newer expensive Uniden digital trunking scanners do include mil air, but the Unidens don't do P25 very well, which is why I suggest a Pro-96 (on sale in December) or pro-2096. I rather use one scanner for mil air and another for trunking anyway.

The feds have picked p25 as their digital standard, so you can expect more military bases to go P25 digital as they upgrade their radio systems. What I haven't seen yet is a base converting from Edacs to P25.

Note that scanning the NTS can be interesting, which in itself is a good reason to have P25. I should point out that the information provided on radioreference.com for the NTS will work on most but not all of their repeaters. A few need two base/offset pairs. Also note that the DOE doesn't like their information on radioreference. When they find their systems documented on the net, they ask the website owner to remove it. Thus you may want to get whatever data is on radioreference.com for the NNSA system sooner than later. I have my own documentation as well, but probably won't be posting it for the same legal reasons.

In Reply to: Re: Purchasng a scanner & GPS ???? posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on October 26, 2005 at 7:51:43 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]