Re: Tonopah / Edwards air show

Message posted by lone wolf on August 24, 2005 at 12:52:24 PST:

There should be directions on DLR or you can go to Tom Mahood's Bluefire website to get direction as to where to camp near the TTR. If you just want to view it, there are two easy ways to do this. One is to go to the front gate of the TTR, being very careful not to cross the border. [There is a very small sign marking the border.] If you look to the right, there is a frontage road that runs the fence line. Drive this fence line far enough to get past the "man camp" (i.e dorms) and you can see the F117 hangars. Back at the front gate, you can also take a left and head up the dirt road until you see a small hill to your right. Climb this hill and you can see the base. To see the Sandia facility and Site-4, you really need to make the drive to Brainwash or nearby hills. The road can be driven by some cars, but it has really gone downhill in the last two years. I think some cars will have difficulty making the trip. I've had to cross running water this year for the first time getting towards Brainwash.

For the Edwards open house, you can stay north of the base in Mojave, or south of the base in Palmdale. The accomodations in Palmdale cost marginally more than most of Mojave, but are much nicer, plus you can actually find stores and such in Palmdale if you forgot something for the trip. Some people claim you get to the base faster from Mojave since all of LA is coming from the south.

In Mojave, I've stayed at the Motel Six, the Scottish Inn (now with a new owner and name), and the Desert Inn. The problem with the motels in Mojave is many are near the railroad tracks and the trains are very active. There is one new motel in Mojave called the Mariah Country Inn. This would have no train noise, just airport noise.

In Palmdale, I've used the Days Inn, but there are plenty of chain motels in town.

In Reply to: Tonopah / Edwards air show posted by Sundance on August 24, 2005 at 9:07:38 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]