Red Flag Trip Report - Thursday 8/11

Message posted by Hardware on August 14, 2005 at 14:12:06 PST:

Took the nephews to Red Flag. Drove from Tonopah on morning of 8/11 to just outside of Silverbow. Hiked a good distance @ around 1200 to the overlook of TNX. Nothing was happening, so we hiked back to the car. Drove to Queens City Summit. It was still early, like 2PM, but the scanner chatter was getting more frequent. Distinguished British dude "Magic" getting frequencies straight with the Air Boss...very helpful! So we just kept listening and got gas in Alamo. Then it really started with the "flights of 5" and "flights of 3" heard RAMBO, CHECK, BAJA maybe SNAKE. so I figured it's time to shoot back out there! Got to Coyote Peak at about 1530? and saw a dude there with a camera in his SUV. Figured that would be a good spot. Anyone here? Adventurous nephews coax me to the top of this peak west of 375. Scanner talks about how all action is to be above FL240 due to weather...(thunderstorms) and we hear high altitude stuff. So I tell the kids it's time hike on down, cause nothin's going. We do hear some MK84's getting dropped in the distance. Then it happens. About 20 feet above where we had hiked, a Tornado buzzes past. then two more. Followed by three F-15's further west. It was kick ass. The nephews were happy, and we were alive...because dang I
m glad we hiked back down that peak. I have a crappy video of the F-15's. I would have had a good still of the Tornado had I not hit the deck. I'm wondering if the red shirt camera guy got a good shot of the banking Tornado! Feel free to email! I have a spreadsheet of active freqs while we were in the area.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]