Weird sighting on 7-30-05 on 95

Message posted by Scott on July 31, 2005 at 12:53:00 PST:

I have a friend that moved to Reno from Las Vegas. Saturday we went to his storage to get some stuff to take back to his apartment in Reno.

We noticed a fire on the ridge of the NTS near Mercury (south east of there actually) and we discussed that for a while as we could plainly see it from his storage unit near Summerlin road.

This isn’t our first trip to Nevada and our faces are well recognized at the Inn in Rachel. We know the road well, and we even commented about how bummed we were that we had to go to Vegas without hitting Rachel.

We were caravanning at 10:30 p.m. (within a few minutes there of) in two pickup trucks, and the wife and I were in the lead heading north on 95. Our friend was by himself about a quarter mile behind us. We had passed Coaldale junction and we were north of Candalaria road where 95 makes an uphill grade and a sweeping right-hand turn.

We could see the taillights of the car in front of us about two miles ahead and the headlights of a vehicle coming down the same grade a little further up. They were off to our right and since we’ve been there many a time, we knew they were on 95 and the highway curves in that direction.

I looked left and pointed out a light that was way out there and I said, “That guy must be on some back road heading for 95.” The light was not a yellow headlight color but more like those new bluer headlight color.

The wife says, “Yeah, I can see the headlights.” The lights were way out there to the west of Mina, I'm guessing at least ten miles away.

We watched that light that seemed to be almost stationary start to move rapidly toward 95. I had time to say, “What road is he on that he can make that speed?” Our friend behind us said over the FRS radio, “That guy is hauling some ass!”

The light then moved straight across towards 95 and we were in the middle of the sweeping curve when the light blew over the top of 95 about 300 feet above the road, went to the right beyond the road and instantly disappeared. We were about a half-mile from the point where it went over the highway. This whole incident took about 30 seconds.

To set the picture, we were northbound with my friend behind us about a quarter of a mile. It was overcast with no moon. The car in front of us was towards the top of the grade and on our right and the southbound vehicle was close to the top very near the car in front of us.

The light was about headlight bright and about that “size” too. Meaning, it could be mistaken for a headlight and it didn't get bigger as it approached us. It never changed brightness, intensity or color. There was no beam of light from it, and it seemed to radiate light in all directions. It moved on a straight, flat line and disappeared about where the middle of the valley was on the east side of 95.

We moved on for a few minutes and I looked left and saw another light and mentioned it. We watched it and I could see it was different than the first light. It was yellower and softer in intensity. Sure, enough it was the headlights from a car approaching 95 on Hwy 380.

What was the light? I don’t know. I know it wasn’t headlights as there was no road anywhere near the approximate area where the light blew over 95.

It wasn’t a plane, drone, a jet or a helicopter.

It wasn’t lights reflecting off clouds, the roadway or a crack in my windshield.

It wasn’t Venus, swamp gas or a satellite.

There was no smoke or vapor trail we could see.

It was the weirdest thing and baffles the three of us.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]