Re: military/area51 frequency questions

Message posted by lone wolf on July 12, 2005 at 22:23:43 PST:

Most scanners that need modification to receive mil air are not very good mil air scanners. They may be good enough for an air show, but not long distance reception. [BTW, I use both types of scanners. A modified mil air scanner is fine for on-scene use.]

You have around 120 miles to the edge of the Nellis ranges. [Much of the weapons school traffic is well east of Rachel.] I'd suggest putting the following in a bank:

These frequencies are the eastern most Nellis range refueling frequencies, and the eastern most MOA frequencies.

Download the scanner recorder at www.davee.com. Scan this bank and use the scanner recorder to log any activity. [Obviously you need to make sure you have the scanner recording working, i.e. use a weather channel as a test source.]

The AS-1405 antenna would help. It is a directional mil air antenna. [Hard to find, and it goes for about $130. It is only available used.]

I believe you have line of sight. Jim Bob can receive UHF air from the Coyote sector from Henderson, which is a bit more distance. He can comment, but I'm sure he didn't have an outdoor antenna.

In Reply to: Re: military/area51 frequency questions posted by joe inman on July 12, 2005 at 20:51:23 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]