Re: Other Janet Paint Schemes?

Message posted by Peter Merlin on July 07, 2005 at 8:23:54 PST:

I used to work at Burbank Airport in the late 1980s. The JANET 737s flew in all the time and I photographed them as often as my work schedule permitted. At that time, the airplanes ferried personnel between the Lockheed Skunk Works and Area 51.

Typically, the 737 would come to a stop at the runway intersection and turn immediately to taxi to the Lockheed parking ramp. Once, the airplane stopped right next to the commercial terminal so that a single passenger could disembark and enter through a door next to the ticket counters. Another time, while I was in the control tower, a JANET (using airline code WWW) requested departure clearance to Desert Rock Airstrip (the cover clearance for flights to Groom Lake).

There were six airplanes in the fleet:
N4508W
N4510W
N4515W
N4529W
N7380F
N7383F

They wore two similar paint schemes. One had the white paint end at the fuselage centerline. The other had white paint all the way down to the area just below the wings. An older paint scheme, photographed at Palmdale in the late 1970s or early 1980s included a red bar across the tail fin.

In Reply to: Re: Other Janet Paint Schemes? posted by Nick on July 07, 2005 at 6:34:02 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]