No Andre', you misunderstood...

Message posted by Steve Amerson on October 29, 2000 at 21:34:44 EST:

Andre',
"Oak Ridge" is not a nuclear power plant but was the site for the first Gaseous Diffusion high grade weapons plant, (K-25), as well as electrical diffusion, (Y-12..still in operation)..and X-10 or ORNL, (Oak Ridge National Laboratory). There were literally TONS of mercury used and lost in the production and manufacture of the first and subsequent bombs at Oak Ridge. You are getting it mixed up with the "Clinch River Breeder Reactor" which was, (as you said), was shut down stupidly by Carter in about 1979 or so. This was also located on the Oak Ridge reservation adjacent to the weapons plants and security for all was provided by DOE. I live right up the road from this and they are neat sites, albeit very secure. K-25 is shut down and will never run again but there are literally hundreds of tons of plutonium laced waste still there on site.. The Breeder reactor would have been a lot of good cheap power and lots of good jobs, but NOOOOO..Carter had to be green and cost us hundreds of millions in the process. The really stupid thing was the excavation was nearly complete when he shut it down. The DOE had to PAY a company to fill the hole back in that they had just been paid to excavate. What a shame..
Oak Ridge was where the first uranium was enriched for the Trinity test as well as the "Little Boy" bomb. Very historic site. I'll tell you guys what..If you're ever in Tennessee, email me beforehand and I'll give you a tour and if I ever make it to Nevada, you can do the same for Groom/NTS. Steve

In Reply to: Re: Yeah sure...most right on the water table posted by Andre' M. Dall'au on October 29, 2000 at 18:50:32 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]