Re: What happen to C-37 (Sukhoi S-37)?

Message posted by Magoo on March 20, 2001 at 3:52:49 PST:

The S-37 only flew for the first time about 2-3 years ago, so if it can make it into service within 5 years of its first flight, then it's doing pretty well. The F-22 has been flying for nearly 10 years now, and is still another 2-3 years away from even limited operational service...if it makes it at all!

I think you'll find the S-37 was a private technology concept demonstrator only...it certainly wasn't developed in response to any need, perceived or otherwise, of the Russian Air Force.

Even if the S-37 were production ready...there are two other hurdles to overcome...

1) Russia can't afford it, and nor can anyone else afford to be a launch customer. Russia can't even afford to buy the amount of Su-30s it really wants.

2) Is there a need for it...? I mean, can it be that much better than the Su-30/35/37? I tend to think not. The later models of the 'Flanker' family are awesome aircraft, in range, manoeuverability and weapons loads...what could be THAT much better? I doubt the S-37 is anywhere near as stealthy as the F-22.

Anyway, that's my 5 cents worth...sorry if it's a little bit off topic, but the S-37 is probably Russias equivalent of a 'dark grey' project!

Magoo

In Reply to: What happen to C-37 (Sukhoi S-37)? posted by Jose on March 20, 2001 at 1:09:57 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]