Re: Area 51 Camou Dudes Encounter!!

Message posted by lone wolf on May 18, 2005 at 23:58:39 PST:

It's a bit hard to read without blowing it up, but the citation indicates the "evil-doer" ;-) was 50 yards beyond the sign.

Here is the statute. Prima Facie to my understanding means we got your ass. Basically because you were seen tresspassing, there is nothing to dispute. I'm not a lawyer but wouldn't mind playing one on TV.

It's interesting to note you need 50 square inches of orange paint on those posts. I think they are about 4 ft tall (48 inches) and at least 2 inches wide if not more. I gather that the sign itself is sufficient warning. In most sane places (i.e. not Area 51), you need to verbally warn the culprit. You may recall the incident where Glen Campbell had to be "tresspassed" by EG&G security.

NRS 207.200 Unlawful trespass upon land; warning against trespassing.

1. Any person who, under circumstances not amounting to a burglary:

(a) Goes upon the land or into any building of another with intent to vex or annoy the owner or occupant thereof, or to commit any unlawful act; or

(b) Willfully goes or remains upon any land or in any building after having been warned by the owner or occupant thereof not to trespass,

Ę is guilty of a misdemeanor. The meaning of this subsection is not limited by subsections 2 and 4.

2. A sufficient warning against trespassing, within the meaning of this section, is given by either of the following methods:

(a) Painting, at intervals of not more than 200 feet on each side of the land, upon or near the boundary, a post, structure or natural object with not less than 50 square inches of fluorescent orange paint or, if the post is a metal fence post, painting the entire post with such paint.

(b) Fencing the area.

3. It is prima facie evidence of trespass for any person to be found on private or public property which is posted or fenced as provided in subsection 2 without lawful business with the owner or occupant of the property.

4. An entryman on land under the laws of the United States is an owner within the meaning of this section.

5. As used in this section, “fence” means a barrier sufficient to indicate an intent to restrict the area to human ingress, including, but not limited to, a wall, hedge or chain link or wire mesh fence.

[1911 C&P § 500; RL § 6765; NCL § 10447]—(NRS A 1969, 96; 1975, 1169; 1987, 2086; 1989, 997)

In Reply to: Re: Area 51 Camou Dudes Encounter!! posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on May 18, 2005 at 21:52:01 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]