Re: f22, JSF, or F/A-18E&F ...hmmm, I'm not so sure!

Message posted by Rocketfox on March 18, 2001 at 8:48:52 PST:

Good points on the JSF/F-22/F-18 controversy Magoo, although I thought I'd like to add something to it.

Recently, {and I'm not sure where} the President mentioned that he was interested in "skipping" a generation of weapons systems, {specifically aircraft} in the pursuit of the Assymetrical Warfare concept. "being fustest with the mostest" {Gen Longstreet, ca, 1863}

With this thought in mind, and the beginnings of the top-down review of the military overall, I expect some severe changes to happen in the design, procurement and selection of viable aircraft in the future.

True, both the F-22 and _18 are in a phase closer to completion than the JSF. True, there is a need for both types of aircraft in the Force inventory. Yes, politics are going to be heavily involved as a matter of course.

My prediction, based on little if any information at all trends to a compromise close to this:

Limited production of the F-22, as a interim force ans "pathfinders" for older more observale aircraft, in conjunction with utilisation of the -117 and B-1/B-2 force.

Limited production of the F-18E/F pending deployment of the JSF.

Continuation of the JSF project, into the future, for the following reasons:

There is more than the political element to consider here. The diplomatic arena is also of great importance. Foreign sales of the -22 and -18 will probably be very limited by the inherent weapons systems, and the sophistication thereof, as restricted technology that would not be deemed as exportable in concert with the Assymetrical Warfare concept.

With the JSF however, foreign interest is already in place, and according to reports, growing daily, with other countries expressing interest in getting on board the program at the second tier {limited} level. This also does not include foreign sales to countries that have expressed no intertest in joining teh development phase, but may only be interested in the end product. To me, any project that strengthens diplomatic ties to friendly nations is a good thing, and should be be fostered. Such a development program would also have a far greater impact on our economy, in the increase of production numbers of aircraft over time available for export.

One trend I have noticed in this new administration is the look towards the future, and taking a "long view". In my opinion this is a good thing, and should be encouraged. I would expect a decision of this magnitude to be forthcoming sometime around July at the earliest, though probably later than that.. I remain hopeful that the needs of the country are in the hearts of the decision-makers.

R*

"ever the optimist"

In Reply to: Re: f22, JSF, or F/A-18E&F ...hmmm, I'm not so sure! posted by Magoo on March 18, 2001 at 2:13:48 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]