Re: Cell phone service in Rachel

Message posted by lone wolf on April 13, 2005 at 21:11:45 PST:

I did a post on this about two weeks ago. It's Verizon with coverage from Coyote to Queen City Summit. I pretty sure I tried the phone heading towards Keno and it didn't work, but I didn't break out the external antenna. The service is analog, so you can probably roam on it. If you really insist on going to places in the boonies, the Verizon Nationwide plan is the way to go. Most plans talk about free roaming, but that is generally only on their network or at best on compatible digital networks.

If I haven't mentioned it before, Alamo has Verizon digital service. You can even surf the net via your cell phone or PC if you know how to do it. [Fry's in Vegas has the kits.] Surfing over your Verizon cell phone using a notebook computer just counts as air time. Surfing from the phone itself takes another plan. I'd be misleading you if I said that Verizon plans are the best deal for places other than rural areas. Sprint tends to have better deals in urban areas.

In terms of digital roaming, time to dump that AT&T/Cingular phone. Most digital sites are CDMA, while Cingular is GSM. Verizon will roam over a foreign CDMA tower if a contract exists. Their term for this is "extended digital." Tonopah for example has Western Wireless, which is a CDMA provided, so I can roam on it, but I don't get all the digital features.

Analog cellular can easily be monitored from the operation near Groom Lake.

AAA and tow companies tend to use mile markers.

In the words of the late Dr. Gene Scott, "Am I boring you!"

In Reply to: Cell phone service in Rachel posted by Hank on April 13, 2005 at 16:06:17 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]