Re: Yeah sure...most right on the water table

Message posted by Andre' M. Dall'au on October 29, 2000 at 18:50:32 EST:

Let me set the record straight about Nuclear Power Plants. Mercury is not a product, by product, or a substance used in the production of electricity by Nuclear Power Plants. All liquid and gaseous releases are monitored by multiple process monitors and overseen by various groups that have no trouble screaming foul. The "high level waste" that is constantly being referred to is the nuclear fuel that is removed from the reactors after a cycle of use. Usually it takes three cycles before they are so depleated of the highly fissile material (only a few percent) that they become useless. They still glow a neat blue (Cherenkof effect) when they are transported underwater. I know, I've moved dozens. The fuel is stored on-site at all the domestic Nuclear Power Plants since we as a nation does not have a singular repository that could manage to store all the used fuel bundles. Putting them all in one place that could be easily monitored, guarded, and hopefully reconstituted into new fuel is such a good idea that only politicians could screw up. Like Carter (a Democrat BTW) did when he stopped the breeder reactor program. Simply stated, Nuclear power puts out the most regulated, cleanest, and safest electricity compared to anything comperable. Geothermal, tidal, wind and all the "green" production methods are totally unrealistic for the kind of generation needed for our country. They are a wonderful small percentage addition, but not availible everywhere. People, I've been a control room supervisor at a world-class nuclear power plant for over a decade, and I can tell you that the excellence that the industry represents cannot be sufficiently understood. Anybody has any specific questions, please e-mail me off-line, and I'd be happy to fill you in. The bottom line is Nuclear Power is far from the industrial boogyman that Nader and others lament. They simply refuse to understand how regulated and efficient it is.

In Reply to: Yeah sure...most right on the water table posted by Steve Amerson on October 29, 2000 at 15:56:30 EST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]