Re: !!!Google Maps Goes Satellite!!!

Message posted by Salty on April 07, 2005 at 9:46:24 PST:

Cool, it caught one of the white semi's coming out:

http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=37.188334,-116.019702&spn=0.007435,0.008379&t=k&hl=en

I assume this structure is gate 700.

You'll have to manually zoom in - Google doesn't seem to save this in their links.

I don't think I've seen this discussed before but there are a number of items that caught my eye just to the NNE of Groom along the road to the back gate.

The main thing is there appear to be some buildings at the center of the link provided. I was thinking at first maybe a second guard post, but this location uncharacteristically appears to have a good view of Groom due to its elevation. Maybe the mystery aeronautical beacon (about 10 miles away from Groom) is here or a radar site plus support structures.

To the south of this is a diamond-shaped feature, with a track running to the circular feature SE of this.

You can see some short E-W lines running away from a track that runs N-S in this area, but I think that's a "natural" runoff phonomena caused by the road (power line road perhaps). I saw something similar if you keep following the back gate road to the second transition between the high and low resolution.

Attached link: NNE of Groom

In Reply to: !!!Google Maps Goes Satellite!!! posted by werD on April 05, 2005 at 10:47:15 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]