Re: Runways in use/flight op times

Message posted by lone wolf on March 22, 2005 at 17:49:04 PST:

You can also get weather at the airport on line from a number of sources. Airnav has the phone numbers should you want the direct information.

Regarding Red Flag, they fly one plane before the game to check out the weather. [We were all sitting on our butts at Coyote when that plane came on by. It would have been a nice shot.] My understanding is it is not a matter of just having suitable flying weather, but it can't be too windy should the pilot need to punch out.

What you really want is some place where you can find out if it's "game on" or not. To do that, I suppose you would have to monitor "showtime". Generally before the flag I just have the scanner running, so I can't recall which frequency they use at the start of the game. I'm sure Jim Bob will know and can post it.

BTW, good point on the magnetic vectors. Most mapping programs read out true headings, but can be set up for magnetic variation. You need this to interpret waypoints based on radial distance and headings that are often found in notams. Those radial distances are in nautical miles, which is yet another thing to set in your mapping software. This confusion between true vs magnetic and nautical vs statute makes most newspaper crash reports a 50/50 proposition they get the location right.

In Reply to: Re: Runways in use/flight op times posted by Frank Stamm on March 22, 2005 at 17:32:53 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]