Re: Looking for a link about Celestron telescope and surv cam set up

Message posted by lone wolf on March 09, 2005 at 23:33:20 PST:

If you are going to go the video route, filtering is pretty important because you can't do much post processing to increase the contrast. A red #25 filter will help. A violet reduction filter like a William Optics VR1 is much better. The light loss is much less with the VR1. I know for photography that the VR1 lets enough blue through it that you can restore the color in photoshop. I don't do enough video to say if the same is true. If you decide to to video with an adapter like the scopetronix or William Optics adapter,I'd get the VR1 filter.

Some people complain that the VR1 has a yellow cast, and to a certain extent they are correct. However, without a filter you will have a heavy blue cast to the image and not much detail since most of the blue and violet spectrum is haze. [The yellow cast will make the blue hazy image look green.]

I put a link to the Williams camcorder adapter. I have one of these and it vignettes a bit on my camcorder. I may need a spacer between the lens and the camera.

You can always try astromart.com to buy this stuff used. The weak dollar has really jacked up all these prices. Maybe you will find someone not up to date on the current prices.

Attached link: adapter

In Reply to: Re: Looking for a link about Celestron telescope and surv cam set up posted by Curious Boog on March 09, 2005 at 20:58:34 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]