Re: Question about road up to tikaboo

Message posted by lone wolf on March 09, 2005 at 13:23:32 PST:

Most of the road to the staging area is quite good. The Texas cops I met who use ATVs park at Badger Spring. It's on the map.

Personally, I'd just hike it at least once to study the situation. The quad only gets you half way there, so you still need to pack a backpack capable of holding everything you want on the peak. You will need a bit less water since you are covering less distance, but the saving aren't going to be that great. In fact, the ATV won't get you to the camp site at the end of the first false summit. You will need to ditch it at the top of the summit before getting past the mother of all rocky outcroppings.

You haven't mentioned how many people are going with you. The Texas cops go two on one ATV, and I think there were three of them, so quite a bit of shuttling was required.

You should get a large external frame backpack, at least 5000 cubic inches. A stuff sack to hold your tent, sleeping bag, and heavy winter coat, preferably a coat that will compress such as down.

In Reply to: Question about road up to tikaboo posted by Curious Boog on March 09, 2005 at 11:58:26 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]