Re: Question pertaining to Tikaboo peak and ATV's

Message posted by lone wolf on March 08, 2005 at 12:57:23 PST:

The guys I met who used an ATV to get half way up told me they rolled one once going up Tikaboo. They also churned up the trail making it a PITA for the hikers.

I haven't mapped it out, but if I were going to ATV up Tikaboo, I wouldn't use the hiking path. Mahood and crew picked a path that was doable and probably has the least distance and elevation change. But the path goes up the side of the mountain to reach the first false summit. If I had an ATV, I would attempt to go up the ridge (or spine if you like) of the mountain. It is longer and more elevation change, but the grade is much less. Parts of the Tikaboo hike are 1:1 on loose shale.

Just eyeballing the map, I'd say
N37 20 01.0 W115 20 21.9
N37 20 13.6 W115 20 43.6
N37 20 30.9 W115 21 01.0

Back to the mountain lion, I've read the details of a few of the fatals. It seems kitty likes to pounce and go for the neck. In one chomp you are paralyzed. So basically what kitty wants, kitty gets. Avoid walking in washes and try to listen if you are being "paralleled." It's not just the military that wants the high ground. ;-)

Chuck was so nice that when he whacked kitty with the tire iron, he put a rag over it to soften the blow. I've met locals who claim they pick up snakes to get them out of the road. Yikes!

In Reply to: Re: Question pertaining to Tikaboo peak and ATV's posted by Curious Boog on March 08, 2005 at 12:21:17 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]