U.S. and allied forces staging space warfare games in Nevada

Message posted by lone wolf on February 04, 2005 at 17:50:38 PST:

Sounds like the Cyber X games or Quakecon to me.
--------------------------------------------

NELLIS AIR FORCE BASE, Nev. (AP) - Military and homeland security officials were due to begin a week of space warfare games Saturday involving 20 U.S. and three allied agencies.

About 250 military and civilian experts from the United States, Great Britain, Canada and Australia were taking part in the Schriever III exercises at Nellis Air Force Base, about 12 miles northeast of downtown Las Vegas.

Air Force Brig. Gen. Dan Darnell characterized the exercises as a test of communication capabilities among military, homeland, transportation, intelligence and strategic command decision-makers.

"We currently have rules of engagement for air, land and sea, but the rules of engagement for space are still a work in progress," Darnell said Friday.

Details of the games were classified. They were scheduled to run through Feb. 11. The Air Force said they pit mock friendly and enemy forces against each other in scenarios designed to test command and control of military space systems.

Darnell said there will be no aircraft flights and nothing visible outside the base.

Similar games, dubbed Schriever I and II, were held in January 2001 and February 2003 at Schriever Air Force Base in Colorado.

Air Force air warfare, weapons, ground operations and threat training schools are based at Nellis. It hosts regular Red Flag combat training exercises and is home to the Thunderbirds aerial demonstration team.

Attached link: I swing a mean BFG10K

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]