Re: Area 51,Underground theory

Message posted by lone wolf on January 25, 2005 at 17:16:05 PST:

There are things that a research facility would like to do in tunnels. R&D projects using magnetics fields or radio waves are notorious for leaking signals. Good examples would be the first generation (i.e. R&D version) of reactive ion etchers, ion implanters, magnetic resonace imaging, etc. [I've posted the story about the first generation ion implanter from Varian deflecting the electron beams of TVs in the nearby homes.] Now suppose you are trying to do something really nasty like a directed energy weapon. Well, having an underground tunnel to develop the weapon might come in handy. There are always screws ups in R&D.

The NTS (or perhaps Groom Lake) has been the source of RFI )radio frequency interference) in the AM broadcast band over the last few years. My guess is somewhere on the site there is a piece of R&D gear that is "home built", i.e. not FCC type approved, that malfunctions periodically. Besides reactive ion etching, it might be some sort of NDI (non-destructive inspection) gear.

The Russians have made all sorts of claims regarding plasma stealth, I suppose if the US were playing with such gear, they might want a location where the experiments could be conducted free of other RF sources. [Personally, I don't see how you can create a plasma with out generating a very detectable radio signal, but who knows.]

There are reasons for having tunnels, but that doesn't mean they exist.

In Reply to: Re: Area 51,Underground theory posted by Hawkeye on January 25, 2005 at 15:46:43 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]