Re: Oh, Really?

Message posted by Magoo on March 13, 2001 at 18:32:18 PST:

Error number one!

The following paragraph is in the article...

"In 1975, Jean Fraser found an odd bit of honeycomb-like debris on her family’s ranch south of Brisbane. The area is in the vicinity of what was then a secret Australian testing range where the British and Americans conducted some of their most secret atomic experiments. Since the LRV was to carry a small nuclear reactor to provide electricity for flight systems, it is conceivable that tests would have been conducted at this isolated location."

There were two atomic test sites in Australia. For those of you not familiar with Australian geography, I'll compare it to the USA. If Brisbane is about where Norfolk VA is, the areas the article refers to (Maralinga in SA, and an atoll off the WA coast) would be somewhere near Denver, and off the coast of Seattle respectively! In the vicinty? Hmmm..., not quite!

Also, I'm not aware of the US carryng out any 'atomic experiments' on Australian soil...they had their own areas in Nevada, and at Bikini and Eniwetok Atolls in the Pacific!

I would put this article in the same basket that I filed the 'A51 closed and moved to Utah' article!

Magoo

In Reply to: Oh, Really? posted by Rocketfox on March 13, 2001 at 18:11:17 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]