Re: I went up to Tikaboo today.

Message posted by lone wolf on January 23, 2005 at 22:11:39 PST:

I think one gallon is a bit skimpy. I take 8 to 10 liters, so it would be more like 2 gallons.

A camera without a telescope is almost a waste unless you want to show you were there. At 26 miles from the base, you need at least 1400mm equivalent focal length, with 2000mm a better choice.

I'm addicted to Clif Bars (not that you will find any of my Clif bar trash on the trail). There is a Trader Joes on Decatur near Charleston that I use to stock up for the trip. They have jerky as well.

One of those $5 Wally World pads comes in handy since the area is very rocky.

I bring a folding saw to gather firewood. You should have a small medical kit. You should have some sort of "friendship" stick, be it a monopod to steady your binocs or just a wooden stick. You never know when you might have to whack a critter.

GPS and waypoints. Cellphone and ham radio or FRS. Depending on time of year, DEET (cutter).

Now you have forgotten one very important item. All I can say is it comes on a roll.

In Reply to: Re: I went up to Tikaboo today. posted by Peter A Forkes on January 23, 2005 at 21:47:54 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]