Re: Radio Scanner Question/Opinions

Message posted by lone wolf on January 02, 2005 at 12:57:22 PST:

There is a yahoogroup for the mvt7100 (see link). The files section has a manual plus a few mods. It's a very good radio for UHF air. However, no PC programming or trunking. I got mine on ebay a fews year ago before the weak dollar policy took effect.

The MVT7100 is full range, i.e. it does short wave too with a long wire antenna. It does sideband as well, though not so great since the frequency step size is kind of large. [10 Hz I think]

The majority of MVT7100's in the US are here illegally and don't have cell phone blocking. The importer (now out of business) never bothered to have it FCC type approved, but did manage to put the approval sticker on the back of the radios. The FCC wasn't pleased.

Still, I'd suggest the Pro-96 if you had to have just one scanner. All the military bases in the US are trunked, some with astro. Edwards runs three simulcast trunk systems. The NTS runs 10 simulcast astro trunk systems. Groom Lake runs at least half a dozen Edacs pro-voice trunk systems. Even the Nevada highway patrol has gone trunked, so you would miss much of the action without some trunking capable scanner.

The MVT7100 is great for scanning Red Flag. I set up the pro-96 for the ground units (vhf nfm) and either scan the UHF mil air with the mvt7100, or park it on the awacs or mig channel. The US only flags are doing less chatter on the awacs channel since they have link 16 data capabilities in all the planes.

Attached link: mvt7100

In Reply to: Re: Radio Scanner Question/Opinions posted by Bill Turner on January 02, 2005 at 4:13:42 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]