Re: X-34-- Live Update Link Here

Message posted by Sundog on November 17, 2004 at 1:21:15 PST:

Just to correct a misconception here, Liquid Fueled Rocket Engines are throttled and can be shut off at any time. Solid Rocket Motors typically didn't have the ability to throttle, but I believe the SSTS (Space Shuttles) SRB's were the first that had the ability to be throttled, but it wasn't complete like a liquid fueled engine, they had a limited range. I also thought I read recently that there were no solid rocket motors that could be switched off, but I'm not sure. Anyway, I just wanted to point out that it matters what type of rocket it is.

Also, the reason scramjets are efficient is they don't have to carry their own oxidizer. I think it's great they made M10. Unfortunately, there isn't a follow on program at the moment. If there is, it will most likely be taken over by the military as most aerospace research and near earth programs are being taken over by the military as NASA is pushed further away from Earth. Personally, I think this is because the military plans to do more space applications and doesn't want NASA getting in the way or accidently stumbling on what the military is up to. Plus it makes it easier for the government to control information that is actually pertinent to us as they seek greater control of near earth resources, e.g. weather satellites, global warming info, etc. as opposed to their fantasy mission to Mars.

In Reply to: Re: X-34-- Live Update Link Here posted by Andrew Howe on November 15, 2004 at 13:18:23 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]