Re: space ship one

Message posted by 55170-054 on September 30, 2004 at 0:03:33 PST:

If the first crowd was 20k, I'd put this crowd at maybe 5k. Of course, they were as rude as the last crowd. There is nothing like setting up your chair at 3AM for the ideal spot, only have have yahoos rush the fence. Security was worthless (Civil Air Partrol). Trust me, when the USAF security tells you to do something, you don't get a second chance. Case in point is smoking, where I have seen people removed from the show by YSAF security.

The operation was handled on 123.375MHz if anyone is intending on seeing the next launch on Monday. Very interesting comms. Hopefully someone on the net recorded them. Listening to the crew and pilot, you really understand how little technology is in this White Knight/ Space Ship One combo. For sure, there is no telemetry other than perhaps the pilots heart monitor. All sorts of readings could be heard being sent back and forth. The display screen in SS1 went blank during the launch. The ground crew suggested aborting the launch, but Melvile just piloted the vehicle by hand.

Air Show Network did their usual crappy job. You really don't appreciate how well the USAF runs an air show until you have to put up with the folks at Air Show Network. For starters, how about a public address system louder than the one used by the FBI at the Branch Dividion compound. I had to stick my scanner right next to my ear to drown out the PA.

Air Show Network pulled an interesting scam. If you bought your ticket on-line, you bought a ticket good for both events. If you bought your ticket at the spaceport, you could by a ticket good for one event at half the cost. Many people who bought the ticket for two events can't make the second launch.

Now talk about nerve. There is someone selling their RV pass on ebay for the 2nd launch at more than what the ticket cost. To the best of my knowledge, what they are saying in the ad is not true. Ebay item 2273690267

In Reply to: Re: space ship one posted by adc_dog on September 28, 2004 at 11:32:01 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]