Re: GPS units Which unit is best for me??

Message posted by JimK on September 29, 2004 at 4:22:54 PST:

I've got a Garmin Etrex Legend (the blue one) and have been very happy with it. It seems to be a good middle of the road model with lots of useful features but not the ones I wouldn't use much (like barometric altimeter,etc) which start making them rather pricey.

My interest is more in tracking down old crash sites so I wander a lot but it has always brought me back to my truck and later showed me where I was on GPSU and similar programs.

I carry a separate magnetic compass just in case the GPS falls down a cliff or the batteries die but I've never used it. It's just a simple Silva brand compass available all over. I keep it in an Altoids can. Tom Mahood has some good comments about compasses in his Hunt for 928 article.

Incidentally there is a great difference between brands of batteries. The copper tops seem the best to me. They will keep me going around 18 hours of on and off use but some other brands are as low as five hours. Experiment some once you get your GPS. Always carry spare batteries. An Altoid can is good for that too if you wrap them in paper but there are some good little plastic boxes that are probably safer. Crushing the Altoid can could short the battery.

In Reply to: GPS units Which unit is best for me?? posted by MI on September 28, 2004 at 8:17:42 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]