Cell phone service [Kind of OT, but useful info]

Message posted by lone wolf on September 17, 2004 at 21:17:16 PST:

I had posted that my Verizon cell phone was working in digital mode in both Tonopah and Alamo. I gave Verizon a call today to inquire why my text messaging didn't work in those towns, but it did work in Vegas. Well, it turns out that the cell phone companies are doing digital roaming. (OK, news to me. I only heard of analog roaming.] In the case of Tonopah, the cell service is from Western Wireless, which is a CDMA provider. When I enter Tonopah, I get what Verizon calls "extended digital", which to me sounds like pointing your finger (no, that would be extended digit), but to Verizon means you get to use digital phone service but no fancy features. Verizon swears my phone shouldn't work in digital in Alamo, but whatever, it does, though no text messages.

In theory, analog cellular is supposed to have its plug pulled by the end of 2005, so these odd "extended digitals" will become the norm. Verizon claims you can roam on Sprint digital in some areas. [Sprint is also CDMA.]

Where this is going to leave GSM users (i.e. AT&T) is a good question. If they don't get GSM in these remote areas like Tonopah and Alamo, you may find yourself unable to roam. Often these FCC time limits get extended, so I wouldn't panic. But if you were getting a cell phone, I'd sure go for Sprint or Verizon (more specifically CDMA) if you plan on using it around the Nellis ranges.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]