Re: Ad Banners

Message posted by Rose-chan on August 11, 2004 at 0:08:47 PST:

Yeah, they can get pretty annoying, but this site is a lot better off than some sites I've been to. As Jeorg mentioned this site doesn't recieve a lot of money from selling items through Amazon or any donations (which I do plan on buying one of the GPS things from you within the year before the next trip, but I'm a starving student and blah blah blah... text books are priority). If this website finds a way to make some decent cash then they will disappear. That'll be a great day, but it doesn't look like it'll come any time soon. One way I can think of that happening is making the message boards and chat rooms for members only and charge a fee to be a member and, as stated, I'm a "starving student" so to speak and that would make it difficult for me and probably many others to come here anymore.

One idea that I have run across on another site is setting up a donation rewards system. It sounds stupid, but let me explain. Each month the people that donate money get to have their name and a link to their site or whatever on the front page. The owner of the website who has been doing this hardly ever gets a month without 2-4 names. Of course the site I am speaking of is much MUCH smaller and run by a bunch or teenage girls who like to squeal and go "LOOK! My name is on the internet! How cool!" LOL! It also revolves around fanfiction writing (if you don't know what it is it's too hard to explain breifly) and having a link to their site greatly boasts their frequent readers and reviews. The situations are VERY different so it wouldn't exactly work as well here, but I just thought I'd mention it.

If I can think of any other way to bring money to this site I'll mention it, regardless of how lame it is. LOL!

As for now, bring on the flashing banners. I just have to scroll down and they are gone. However, I'm flipping off the talking ads right now.

In Reply to: Ad Banners posted by kranky on August 08, 2004 at 17:50:51 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]