Re: China Lake notam

Message posted by lone wolf on August 10, 2004 at 0:25:07 PST:

I've been present when the GPS jamming is present. I think they receive the real GPS signal and broadcast an altered signal. That is, it is not like you can't get your GPS to work, but it acts strangly. In my case, the display would rotate a few degrees back and forth, much like someone took your gps and twisted it a bit, back and forth.

The military has other GPS frequencies. You occasionally see a military GPS show up on ebay. There are problems with civilians using them. I don't recall exactly the nature of the problem, but you can google sci.geo.satellite-nav to find the details. I know that the encryption codes are changed periodically for the military GPSs, so you might have a bit of a problem getting the new codes as a civilian.

The GPS birds have lots of other functions besides navigation. Over the years, the info has left the net, like "Whoa, we said too much!" The GPS system is used to detect nuclear explosions, and has a dedicated frequency for this task. I don't recall the other tasks.

Looks like somebody snagged the data before it left the net:
I also included a link on the nuclear explosion detection.

Attached link: nuke

In Reply to: Re: China Lake notam posted by Will (NorCal) on August 09, 2004 at 20:32:26 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]