Re: Camping

Message posted by scanner wolf on August 08, 2004 at 10:44:48 PST:

Generally preamps are a waste of money unless they are very low noise (AKA LNA for low noise amplifier). The base is only 26 miles away, so you won't need one for to monitor Groom.

The motorcycle battery would be a bit messy. A really common battery is the Yuasa NP7-12 sealed lead acid battery. It is a 7 amp hour 12 V battery. The Pro-2052 worst case current is 440ma. That would still run 16 hours on a 7 amp hour battery.

If you have a car battery charger with a low current setting (like 1 amp), you can safely charge the Yuasa np7-12. Charge it about 10 hours.

The nice thing about sealed lead acid batteries is there is nothing to spill. They are routinely pulled from alarms with plenty of life left in them, so you can get one for maybe $5 used. I have gear where I replace this battery every other year, so I always have two used ones handy. They are maybe $20 new. Radio Shack sells the female cigarette plug.

In Reply to: Re: Camping posted by Cowboy_Fiend on August 07, 2004 at 23:55:57 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]