Re: Camping

Message posted by scanner wolf on August 07, 2004 at 15:21:31 PST:

The funny thing about batteries is the chemistry matters more than the brand or cost. At a company where I used to work, we rigged up cheap Walmart alarms clocks, current sources for loads, and a comparator to detect end of battery life, all to test about a dozen brands of batteries. [It was pretty funny since I stumbled onto the test area not knowing what was going on and thought somebody was building bombs.] All the alkaline batteries were within 10% of each other in terms of capacity, so the conclusion was just buy the cheapest AA cell you can find that is an alkaline. [Note that those "ultralife" cells at Fry's don't fit my flashlight, but do work in my scanners.]

You can get portable power packs that have a cigarette light outlet on them, but I'll second Joerg's suggestion to get a handheld scanner. I can't see lugging a large scanner and a gel cell portable power pack up Tikaboo. It's bad enough lugging the rest of the gear, water, etc.

You need a relatively small tent for Tikaboo since there is little flat space. I've bought some cheap tents at Big Five, about $20. You can't use a tent that requires stakes, but rather it must be "free standing."

Getting back to the scanner, you should make sure it is military air capable.

In Reply to: Re: Camping posted by Joerg (Webmaster) on August 07, 2004 at 12:41:21 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]