SR-71 flight patch

Message posted by Mike Pelak on June 02, 2004 at 21:23:48 PST:

Hello all... several years ago through the internet I was in contact with someone who told me they had been a test pilot at Area 51. I cannot recall much of anything from our conversations, but during the time I knew this person they had sent me a patch that he claimed was his during his testing of the SR-71 spyplane. I recently found the patch and the short letter he sent me. I am wondering about the patch's authenticity/validity. I did a search on ebay for SR-71 patch, and came up with several. One of which closely resembles the one I have. This is a link to the picture of it:
http://auction2.inetu.net/member/toby68/PatchSR71Plus3.jpg

It looks very much the same as mine, but there are several differences. The plain itself is a bit sharper on mine, the skunk is wider on mine and the tail is not as 'fuzzy'. Also on mine the banner is slightly different, the '3' is a different font, and the 'SR-71' is in more of a cursive font.

The letter I was sent reads as follows:
Mike,
Sorry for the delay, you now know & have something that's been to the edge of space..... & faster than Mach 3 (actually Mach 5.8)
Good Luck!
From Dreamland!

I dont know if this was someones elaborate joke or something authentic. Any thoughts are very much appreciated.
Also, I will be making my first ever trip to Rachel/A51 area this August. I am planning to visit Rachel, the back gate, the signs, and hoping to view the guard tower from a location off groom lake road. Anyone have any other interesting spots to check out in the immediate area aside from the obvious ones?

Thanks alot in advance for any I help I recieve.
Sincerely,
Mike Pelak

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]