Re: Tikaboo Approach Sensors?

Message posted by lone wolf on June 01, 2004 at 13:28:08 PST:

The search and rescue types say that plenty escapes their FLIR. Thermal imaging is really just looking at a spectrum of light that we can't see, so it is not immune from any of the things that can interfere with normal vision. If the heat source is moving, you certainly have a target. If you have a scanner, try to listen to S&R or even the ghetto bird looking for the perp. It is not all that easy. Heat sources in trees are commonly detected. Do you have an animal, or the person of interest? The chopper just relays the location, then people on the ground need to determine the situation.

If the thermal imaging equipment is at the base, I think detecting people will be very difficult. From directly above in a UAV, no problem.

Even if the operation near Groom Lake had Tikaboo under watch, there are other viewing locations. I think they depend on the dark of night (no moon and a nearly blacked out base) and distance to protect their secrets.

That AC130 video floating around the net shows what thermal imaging can do in a relatively open area from directly above. I swear there is one spot where you can see a body, er, um, become two pieces.

In Reply to: Re: Tikaboo Approach Sensors? posted by lowrydr310 on June 01, 2004 at 12:35:57 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]