basecamp

Message posted by lone wolf on May 18, 2004 at 21:53:01 PST:

The BLM now has an open file on basecamp regarding the new land grab. You can view this at the Tonopah office provided you sign a paper indicating you viewed the documents. [I checked carefully to insure this paper did not authorize a cavity search.]

There are only two things of interest (at least to me) in the folder. One is the lame excuse for the existence of basecamp, which is to support Halligan Mesa. [I take no responsibility for readers who injure themselves by laughing too hard at that notion.] The other thing of interest is a map indicating the old and new boundaries. The old fence was actually a bit short of the real boundary at the far eastern side of the runway, probably due to a mistake. The new boundary is basically just a bit wider (east/west) than the old boundary, but goes as far south as the highway 6 and quite a bit further north. The USAF wants to run the fence along Tybo road way past the new borders, but after I pointed that out the BLM person said that won't be legal. Tybo road will not be rerouted, so I really don't understand the reason for the land grab since the area will not be any more secure.

I was able to get a print out of the map. I didn't bother trying to get copies of the rest of the file since I figured I was pushing my luck.

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]