Need info on Groom Lake and Black ops

Message posted by Andrea on May 12, 2004 at 22:01:05 PST:

I'm writing a novel (or trying to - it's in its infancy yet), the main part of which revolves around Groom Lake. I need to know some nit-picky kind of details to add verisimilitude to the whole thing. I've been reading this forum for some time now, and you guys seem to be the people to ask! Sooo... could anybody help with some questions that I have?

1. I know that the workers leave from McCarran airport to their jobs everyday - but is this both civilians and military? Or do the military folks fly out from Nellis?

2. If the military flies out from McCarran, do they wear their uniforms onto the plane? Or would they wear civvies and change into their uniform at work?

3. Would the military guys be "officially" assigned to Nellis? (their records -medical etc.- have to be kept somewhere)

4. Just how much about their assignment are their (non-black-ops) spouses allowed to know? For example do you think they would know their spouses worked out at Groom Lake? Or would they even be allowed to tell them that? Would they have to tell all their friends some fabricated story about their job, or could they just say "I'm in black-ops" and leave it at that? Basically I guess I'm asking how much are these guys allowed to reveal to their friends and family?

4. What exactly are the road sensors I read about in your forum recently? Do they detect a car driving by? Is it some sort of electronic sensor at the side of the road (visible) or underneath the ground?

5. If somebody decides to go Black-ops, do you think they could ever (ie. be allowed to) go back to being "regular" air force? Or are they doomed to some sort of black-ops netherworld forever?

6. Are there any barracks or dwellings at Area 51? Do some people stay longer then their work day? ie. stay for the week, then go back to Vegas on weekends?

I would appreciate any feedback, anyone who knows any facts or just the best guesstimate. Any other facts about daily life of a black-ops officer or Groom Lake worker would be helpful as well...This stuff is VERY hard to find info on; you guys are my best hope!!
Thank you!

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]