Re: SUV/ 4X4 rental >>>ground clearance

Message posted by lone wolf on April 22, 2004 at 18:49:27 PST:

You can get the F150 in 4x4, but I suspect most rentals will have the 4x2 model. The long wheel base has a less desirable weight distribution for going up hills.

The drive to the power lines has one hill that is probably a 70% grade. By this point, I've already had the SUV in low range, but I think climbing this hill would be marginal in high range. Going down the hill without low range would require considerable riding the brake, but if you have a rental, maybe that doesn't matter. There is also a stretch of road to the power lines where I like to ride the side of an incline rather than scratch the side of the truck with overgrown branches. I'm not sure how well you can do that with street tires.

Road block canyon isn't bad, but there is one gotcha depending how you start the route. I only drove to the road block once, and had a bit of trouble finding the starting point. Looking at waypoints I saved, I believe you start at N37.35355 W115.59422. [This road does not appear on the topo map.] Somewhere around N37.34736 W115.59639 there is a nasty spot in the road. It's not bad on the way towards the road block, but on the way back you would have to remember to make what I think was a hard left not to hit this spot. It is one of those deals where the road failed at one time so a new route was made around the failure, but the path to the failure isn't blocked. At
N37.34493 W115.59762, the path joins the alternate road that is on the topo map. The alternate starting point is at N37.36141 W115.56931.

In Reply to: Re: SUV/ 4X4 rental >>>ground clearance posted by Keith on April 22, 2004 at 14:01:26 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]