Re: Call for Leviathan Cave/ Worthington Mtns Photos/Info

Message posted by Tom on April 09, 2004 at 18:53:10 PST:

If you are heading direct to the Worthingtons from the Ash Springs/Alamo area, the quickest route is not through Rachel. Instead, there is a very good dirt road (50 mph+) that heads west from Hwy 318 at Hiko. It will take you right to the east side of the Worthingtons. Easy for a passenger vehicle. The last couple of miles from this route to the trailhead could be done in a Focus, if you are careful. This segment of road is very flat, but there are rocks on it that you need to avoid.

I'll add my second to the others who have said this is a VERY remote area. If you are going solo, you had better have a GPS and maps to ensure you make the right turns. There is the potential to take a wrong turn or two.

One other thing to consider, avoid the area if there are thunderstorms. On my last trip there, not long ago, we were struck by a nasty series of thunder squalls just as we got back to camp. We were very worried about the dip crossings along the route out flooding (and they were!), so we blew out of there in high-speed 4wd, trying to outrace the storm. VERY exciting, and when we hit Hiko, it was sort of a kiss the pavement" moment.

Tom

In Reply to: Re: Call for Leviathan Cave/ Worthington Mtns Photos/Info posted by lone wolf on April 08, 2004 at 20:13:23 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]