Re: Red Flag Tornado!

Message posted by Richard C on March 16, 2004 at 18:02:36 PST:

Bill,

thats correct.
But as we all know this side of the pond, it was 14Sqn that went out for the first phase, using 14Sqn callsigns AND 14sqn frequencies for air-air and operations.
It seems, as i have told Joerg already a week ago or so, that the aircraft were pooled as with the crews.
For the second phase, the same GR4s should stay put, but a crew change, fresh from the UK will fly in them.

It clearly does show an SAOEU GR4 from RAF Boscombe Down in amongst the shot aswell as other GR4s with different Sqn markings. I am not sure if the SAOEU are at China Lake at the moment (i've lost track of them coming over the top of me) but if they are at China Lake (the Boscombe SAOEU spend 3 or so months a year at China), you can bet that the single SAOEU GR4 with the 14Sqn crews is there from that deployment to the 'lake' on some kind of 'trial' relating to future GR4 requirements. (Weapons trials).

If not, then the SAOEU GR4 went over in the so called 'Storm Trail' with the Tornado's from intially RAF Lossiemouth using 'SNAKE' as their callsign and 14Sqn frequencies.
One of the SNAKES had problems and so RTB'd as they were just about to refuel above me... and was told by SNAKE lead to contact "14Sqn Ops" of his problem, and the lead then told the their Tanker, a Tristar to contact Brize Norton Ops to relay to "14 Sqn" of the plan of action. The rest of the first batch of GR4s went on to Lajes, Azores, while a tanker (a VC-10) that was delayed due to problems anyway took the single spare GR4 hours later onwards to Lajes to meet the rest on the ramp.

I have a full log of the details, 14Sqn callsigns, 14 Sqn frequencies and 14Sqn operations with relays to 14Sqn Operations at Lossiemouth throughout...
The fact the aircraft don't tie up is really typical of the way the RAF operate. Pooled aircraft on deployments is typical, and sometimes you'll get a few (such as the airshow birds) from Western Vortex, In Labrador pop up anywhere in the US.
One chap even heard a Western Vortex GR4 using the callsign LOSSIE over Lake Ontario! A Generic callsign used by Lossiemouth in the UK, let alone 4000 miles away!!

anyway, as i said to Joerg, these are some of the best GR4 pictures ever taken at low level in the way of detail. It's nice to have them OTT me refuelling enroute and then see them in action over Nevada a week later.

Rich

In Reply to: Re: Red Flag Tornado! posted by Bill T. on March 16, 2004 at 16:03:55 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]