Re: OT: Anyone here ever go to the El Centro airshow?

Message posted by lone wolf on March 05, 2004 at 13:44:29 PST:

Prime lenses always kick ass over zooms, especially in contrast. Take the Sigma.

I have no clue about your 800-1200mm lens, but carrying something over a meter long up Tikaboo will be difficult.

As an aside, you will find in lens tests that the OEM lenses (Canon, Nikon, etc) perform better than the 2nd market lenses (Sigma, Tokina). Anyway, when you get the Canon EOS 10D, you should consider the Canon EF 400mm/f5.6 prime. [You will need an EF lens since your present lenses won't mate with the 10d.] It's has a good price/performance ratio. It's not a great lens, but at least Canon makes a lens in that category, something Nikon really lacks. Anyway, it's what I use, and the next step up costs 4x the price. The Canon 400mmF4 DO would be my money is no object lens since it uses fluorite elements. When the basic lens is really good, you can use teleconverters and get decent images, which gets around the problems associated with really long lenses. But the emphasis is on the first piece of glass being very good.

In Reply to: Re: OT: Anyone here ever go to the El Centro airshow? posted by Brian on March 05, 2004 at 12:53:01 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]