Re: OT: GPS questions

Message posted by lone wolf on March 02, 2004 at 23:48:30 PST:

So what kind of resolution do you get on the Magellan topo maps. Specifically, what is the separation of the contour lines. The garmin mapsource is pretty poor in that respect. Just looking at the hike up Tikaboo, I've got contour lines 160 ft apart. I'd have to double check, but I think USGS maps are on 20ft contours. What I end up doing is planning hikes using other topo software to create the waypoints, put them in the Garmin, then read them back out of the garmin using mapsource. The map format is proprietary to Garmin, so you are stuck buying mapsource.

If you have broadband, a good planning tool is www.expertgps.com The software uses the terraserver topo or image maps, so you can plan a hike looking at the terrain image as well as topo. Often there are trails in the image that you don't see in the topo. This is especially true for some of the crash sites. The program is a bit of a disk and CPU beater, so a reasonably modern PC is a requirement. I'd say 1.5Ghz would be a minimum. My 1Ghz notebook is a bit too slow for the software.

In Reply to: Re: OT: GPS questions posted by jklier on March 02, 2004 at 23:10:34 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]