Re: Scanners no i've gained experience in this area the hard way

Message posted by Rich C on February 14, 2004 at 19:18:58 PST:

<<>>

Well, that small hole (260MHz) in the middle is still used for UHF mil-air, in fact very much so, however you need a good dedicated antenna with pre-amp to pick up most SATCOM transmissions, poiting towards the satellites at best too to even pick up anything decent, with FLTSATCOM being replaced by the newer UFO satellites (UHF Follow On).
I guess that area 51 infact do use alot of SATCOM encrypted transmissions, aswell as the usual VHF, UHF and HF. Again, as with HF, SATCOM can be dependent on atmospheric/ionoshperic conditions.

<<>

you are right, the MVT-7100 is one of the best, if not still the best (even though its old now) high end scanner available, for sensitivity and all modes.
The successors like the MVT9000mk2 do not come close to its sensitivity or ability to pick up those signals no other hand held can. It is by far the best hand held to date. In most cases in the shops, it has stayed the same price for years due to its outstanding performance. Plus, being the great high end scanner it has, like mentioned having HF ability, USB/SSB and LSB meaning you can catch those HF transmissions aslong as you sort yourself out with a small random wire in place of the COAX. You dont need much, as to not overload the scanner, but a simple 6ft-10ft length of speaker wire will suffice in bringing in good HF signals, depending on what the space weather does.

Rich C

In Reply to: Re: Scanners no i've gained experience in this area the hard way posted by scanner wolf on February 14, 2004 at 11:32:40 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]