Re: Scanners no i've gained experience in this area the hard way

Message posted by scanner wolf on February 14, 2004 at 11:32:40 PST:

Mil air is roughly 225 to 400Mhz with a small hole in the middle of the band used for other stuff, mostly fltsatcom. The pro-96 doesn't technically do mil air, but if you run win96 (www.starrsoft.com) it can extend the range of the scanner. Still, you are using it out of its intended range, so the specs may not be good.

One nice thing about the MVT-7100 and a few other similar scanners is that they can receive any mode at any frequency. If there is a particularly strong satellite signal in the mil air band, you can switch it over to NFM. Most scanners only do AM in mil air.

As an aside, all the models that came out later than the 7100 from Yupiteru don't work as well as the 7100, so the reviewers claim. You can check out www.strongsignals.net for reviews. Also, there is a manual for the scanner on the mvt7100 users group at yahoogroups. Rich Wells wrote this manual because the original Japanese translation was not done well and the scanner is a bit unusual in how certain functions work. One really nice feature it has is how it does limit searchers, i.e. where you go between two frequencies. On the MVT-7100, you can have 10 limit search preprogrammed. I have one for mil air bandscanning, civilian air, and the various government bands. It also covers shortwave and can do sideband. Sideband on that radio requires you to tune 1.4Khz higher than the frequency due to a design bug.

Just one note on fltsatcom, it is generally scrambled. When it is in the clear, it can be pretty good stuff. Some may recall Jimmy Carter being recorded on fltsatcom when in the UK. I've heard military exercises in the south, but generally you can't hear fltsatcom without a low noise amplifier.

In Reply to: Re: Scanners no i've gained experience in this area the hard way posted by Aaron Johnson on February 14, 2004 at 11:08:41 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]