OT: Helping new posters

Message posted by Hank on February 12, 2004 at 21:31:50 PST:

This site seems to be the premiere site for people to come to gather info for trips to Rachel and the gates etc. A couple weeks ago I received and email from a first timer asking me about Cedar Gate and what was to be seen there. I immediatly whipped off the GPS numbers for the gate and the Sam site. The next day I got a reply asking what all those numbers were. I emailed back the directions in miles and noted some landmarks that would help guide them, such as the old ranch and the stock tanks. They emailed me back today that they had found their way and saw the gate and the Sam site.
I think that some of us, myself included assume that the people that are asking for information own a GPS, and a digital camera, high powered optics, and a scanner with all the right freqs. In fact I think that most of them are going up their just like I did the first time. Eyes wide open, a full tank of gas and no idea what I was going to see. My point is lets make it as easy for these people as we can without getting technical. If they enjoy themselves they will come back to the site with trip reports and insight, and become regular posters.
Thanks for your help
Hank

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]