Re: YF-113G/Bird of Prey?

Message posted by will on January 07, 2004 at 19:20:44 PST:

Cheers Mates, I appreciate your thoughts.

I was wondering as I've been recently looking at the Bird of Prey and find much agreement with the sentiments expressed here.

One intriguing detail that supports the thrust of this discussion centres on AWST May 14 2000 in the 'Industry Outlook' section, where the YF-113G is cited in relation to a Mig-23 and a 70's classified aircraft.
Both possibilities are doubted by AWST and others where according to "an observer and some USAF documentation. The YF-113G was a "classified prototype" that was brought "from design to first flight" in a "CLASSIFIED FLIGHT TEST SQUADRON" (caps are mine) in the 1993-96 time frame".

Awst then goes on to say as we agree that the Mig-23 is ruled out and interestingly the YF-113G was probably not a Lockheed design, but it was manned!.

Those are the salient points which made me wonder about the Bird or Prey, but the fly in the ointment here is the "classified flight test squadron" as to my knowledge the Bird of Prey wasn't subject to that kind of regimen.

So does that leave something else being built and tested in that time and under differing conditions to the Bird of Prey.

My thanks and I appreciate your thoughts .
Cheers from Aust.

Will

In Reply to: Re: YF-113G/Bird of Prey? posted by Andreas Parsch on January 07, 2004 at 15:03:07 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]