Re: missile lauch

Message posted by lone wolf on December 02, 2003 at 12:57:42 PST:

Agreed Vandenberg is on a 220 magnetic radial from Rachel. What I don't know is how much of what is viewed is the early stage of the launch. For a pacific target, the rocket trail is a bit more northerly, maybe 255 magnetic based on the one launch I saw from Queen City Summit. In the case of the launch yesterday, the rocket was going to head straight down Baja California, which is why I thought a more southern direction would be appropriate.

The radio horizon from queen city summit to sea level is 111 miles. [I don't have a visual horizon calculator handy.] The visual horizon is generally less, so you would not see the initial stage of the rocket launch if aimed at a 220 radial. The rocket would need to be about 25K ft in the area before it is visible in central Nevada. So the question is, at what location is the rocket when it reaches 25k ft. My guess was it would already be heading down the coast.

Attached link: radio horizon calculator

In Reply to: Re: missile lauch posted by Chuck Clark on December 02, 2003 at 7:08:15 PST:

Replies:

[ Discussion Forum Index ] [ FAQ ]